Ingrid's Weekly reflection #2

May 21, 2023

After successfully constructing the machine, I proceeded with a series of tests to determine whether the decrease in CO2 followed a linear or exponential pattern. This process presented various challenges in accurately identifying the nature of the decrease. However, I addressed each obstacle by developing specific solutions. For instance, I encountered an issue during the 20-minute test due to the slight solubility of Ca(OH)2 in water. The precipitation of Ca(OH)2 had the potential to hinder the effectiveness of the solution in capturing carbon. To overcome this obstacle, I carefully shook the box every five minutes to minimize precipitation. Additionally, I introduced the use of KOH, a water-soluble substance, to ensure a more reliable indication of exponential decay over time in relation to the levels of CO2.

Moreover, I conducted experiments to investigate the connection between the quantity of reactants and the reduction of CO2 inside the sealed container. However, the main challenges I encountered revolved around the solubility of Ca(OH)2. Due to its limited solubility in water, the outcomes of the trials involving 5 grams, 10 grams, and 15 grams of Ca(OH)2 were inconclusive. There were no noticeable variations in the data collected from each trial. Nevertheless, the presence of KOH proved invaluable in identifying the problem. It allowed me to confirm that there is indeed a positive relationship between the amount of chemicals utilized and the decrease in CO2 levels within a 15-minute period.

Not only did I explore the type of decrease of CO2, I also tested which catalyst is more effective in capturing carbon dioxide. 

From the data that I collected, Ca(OH)2 seems to be more effective when I gave both 5 grams. I assume this is because of its property. Powder can have more volume and less mass, which allow the effect to be more significant. KOH in this week's experiment works well, because of its solubility. It does not produce any extra remains in the solution which allows the test to have a more direct result. 

Total hour: 77h





Comments

Popular Posts